Monday, February 23, 2009

Poetry Monday

The hobbits copy poetry in notebooks on Mondays instead of their handwriting workbooks. They have developed a real love for poetry over the year and I thought I would participate by blogging a poem here on Mondays. Here is today's offering which doesn't have a title that I know of. I found it in Wisdom and Innocence by Joseph Pearce. It was written by G.K. Chesterton for one of his beloved neighbors.

Rejoice all nations under the sun;
Their bishops dance, their aged statesmen run,
Paint the world red and think it frightful fun
That Barbara, Barbara is Twenty-One.
But the Crier is crying
In Lyme of the King
Lost, Stolen or Strayed
Is the Marvelous Thing.
I will ring for the sea-gulls
That dance in the spray
But the girls that go dancing
Go dancing away,
The girls that go dancing
Go dancing
go dancing,
The girls that go dancing
Go dancing away.

No comments: