Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Poetic Knowledge Week Two

I am totally distracted this week by the arrival of the world's most delectable baby--my first grandchild. He is amazing. Really! And I am obviously besotted. My apologies.
But I did want to note this quote from Chapter Two-"But the first experiences in the poetic mode will never be forgotten, nor rejected, as if one had outgrown them and found them silly." pg.15
This has been true for my three older children who have gone out into the world. They have not embraced the silliness of the world but have held fast to what they learned in those long, dreamy days of homeschooling. People occasionally ask me what is the most important aspect of homeschooling. I say time. Time to think and dream, read, play, draw, bake cookies, make chainmail, watch ants, you get the idea.

4 comments:

Silvia said...

Oh... congratulations first for the grand baby soon to come.
Shari, I think I am totally CM addicted, but it is true she said the same, those ideas they get unconsciously from being around the parents, stay with them and influence them for a lifetime.
I'm very glad to read your testimony. Inspiring for an old mom of two young ones!
Thanks,

Brandy Vencel said...

Oh, many congratulations! That is the best excuse I've heard in a long time.

And thank you for the encouraging quote/commentary. I often feel like I grasp these ideals, but then shove them into a corner when life gets busy. Little reminders like this are very helpful.

Willa said...

Oh, congratulations on the new grandchild! Babies seem so much part of poetic knowledge to me. Enjoy your blessing!

Kelly said...

Congratulations!